Read more about COVID-19 Preparedness & Responsiveness

Revolution in transport: SPAR Switzerland adds first green hydrogen truck to its fleet

April 26, 2021 IN THE CATEGORY: Climate, Environment, Responsible retailing

SPAR Switzerland has added a modern and eco-friendly hydrogen-electric truck to its fleet. The 36-tonne Hyundai XCIENT Fuel Cell truck was tailored to SPAR’s needs and will facilitate long-distance, emission-free food deliveries on the Central Switzerland route.

Alfred Derungs, Head of Transport at SPAR Switzerland, highlights the importance of this moment: “The combination of a green hydrogen and electric drive is a revolution in transport. From now on, we can supply the Central Switzerland route with a 36-tonne trailer truck without any emissions.”

Hydrogen mobility cycle

Progress in CO2-free mobility began with the production of green hydrogen from 100% sustainable energy. It continued with the six public hydrogen filling stations opened in recent months on the Lake Constance – Lake Geneva axis. The Hyundai XCIENT Fuel Cell completes the clean cycle. The 36-tonne trailer truck offers a range of around 400 km on one tank and all the advantages of an electric drive, while only water vapour escapes.

Hydrogen logistics are developing rapidly in Eastern Switzerland, with more green hydrogen pumps to be added at filling stations in the near future.

The hydrogen-electric commercial vehicle used by SPAR offers a special feature.

Daniel Keller, COO of Hyundai Hydrogen Mobility, explains: “This XCIENT Fuel Cell was tailored to the transport needs of SPAR Switzerland. With a rather short motor vehicle and the right trailer, it enables maximum capacity utilisation. This enables us to make optimal use of the total weight of 36 tonnes, making emission-free operations even more efficient.”

Source: SPAR Switzerland

Read more news from SPAR Switzerland.


About SPAR Switzerland

SPAR Switzerland was founded in 1989; in 2000, the family-owned business was transformed into a holding company with three operating companies. The business grew, combining corporate and independently owned stores, spanning forecourt retailing to large supermarkets.

In early 2016, SPAR Switzerland announced the sale of 60% of shares to SPAR Group Ltd, South Africa. The remaining 40% was purchased in March 2021 by SPAR Group Ltd.