The European Athletics Championships 2022 ended on a high note on Sunday, 21 August, with host country Germany topping the medal table ranking at the end of the fantastic seven-day event. The event saw multiple records, including one Championship record, five national records, and 12 personal bests. SPAR has been a sponsor of European Athletics since 1996 and was delighted to be back in Munich for this event 20 years after the 2002 championships.
The event attracted enormous media presence and interest, with over 40 EBU members offering in-depth television, digital and radio coverage. Some of the media highlights include:
- On the last night, over 5 million people watched evening coverage of the European Athletics Championships on ZDF in Germany. The broadcast earned a share of 21%.
- Across the event, a total of 4.1 million viewers were reached by Teledeporte’s coverage of the European Athletics Championships in Spain.
- 740,000 viewers watched the Saturday evening coverage of the European Athletics Championships on NPO3 in the Netherlands. The broadcast earned a share of 21% – 3.5 times the channel’s primetime average.
- Saturday evening’s multi-sport coverage of the European Championships on SVT1 in Sweden was seen by almost 2 million viewers (1-minute reach) and earned a share of viewing of 57.9% (over double the channel’s typical primetime average).
- 24.8 million viewers – 41% of the potential TV audience in the UK – were reached by the BBC’s multi-sport coverage of the European Championships during the period the Athletics was taking place (15-21 August).
Championships to remember
As the principal sponsor of European Athletics, SPAR is a huge supporter of this major event and the competing athletes.
SPAR provided personalised name bibs at the SPAR stand in the Fan Zone next to the stadium to make these championships even more memorable for the many fans. Fans could get an official SPAR branded number bib with their own name as a souvenir – emulating their athletic heroes competing in the stadium this week.
Supporting healthy lifestyles
Promoting healthy lifestyles, good nutrition, and physical activity is a key pillar of SPAR’s responsible retailing agenda. SPAR’s global strategies are tailored towards offering good quality products and relevant nutritional information to ensure a balanced, healthy diet.
SPAR has been the principal sponsor of European Athletics since 1996, a relationship celebrating 25 years in 2021. This long-standing partnership demonstrates major commitment on the brand’s part to facilitating healthy lifestyles through sport.